Women’s History Month: Voluntary and Charitable Organizations
Welcome to the second installment of our Women’s History Month series. This week we are focusing on voluntary and charitable organizations documented in the UTSA Archives. These women of these organizations selflessly provide their energy and time to a variety of community improvement and empowerment projects throughout the San Antonio area.
|Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc.
Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc. is a public service organization of predominately African American college educated women. The San Antonio Alumnae Chapter as established on August 16, 1933, under the name of Psi Sigma Chapter. On August 23, 1958, the chapter was renamed San Antonio Alumnae Chapter.
|National Council of Jewish Women, San Antonio Section
The National Council of Jewish Women is dedicated in the spirit of Judaism to furthering human welfare in the Jewish and general communities. The San Antonio Section was established in May 1907 in the parlor of the Menger Hotel by a small group of women. The organization has made many groundbreaking strides in assisting handicapped and disadvantaged citizens and in promoting education for adolescents and adults.
|San Antonio Chapter of Links, Inc.
The San Antonio Chapter of Links, Inc. is a volunteer service organization of African American women. The membership seeks to improve the quality of life for the greater community and its members through education, civic, and cultural activities.
|San Antonio Junior Forum
San Antonio Junior Forum is a service and welfare organization that contributes to the San Antonio community. Members volunteer for local service projects, learn about new projects, are knowledgeable of area needs, and help raise funds that are distributed to charities and other organizations in the San Antonio area.
|San Antonio Mother’s Service Organization
The San Antonio Mother’s Service Organization was formed in 1945 to curb juvenile delinquency and positively affect youth through cooperation between the home and the community. The organization was the first African American group of Christian women to get a state charter for a local club.
|Woman’s Club of San Antonio
The Woman’s Club of San Antonio, a club organized for charitable work, education and fellowship, was founded on October 1, 1898. It is the oldest women’s civic and social organization in San Antonio, and was the first women’s club in Texas to endorse women’s suffrage.
Don’t forget to come out to UTSA Women’s Studies Institute Women’s History Month Women’s Fair 2009 where women’s organizations from San Antonio and UTSA will join together in the cause for the progress and advancement of all women. The Fair is takes place Monday March 16th from 11 am until 1 pm at the UTSA 1604 campus on the University Center Paseo.